Tuesday, August 21, 2018

how to sew a new ironing board cover

I need a new ironing cover, the one I have now is really old. Please  excuse the mess, we are just moving into our new home.  This home is larger then the one we moved from, so my sewing room is under construction. Table will do just fine.  Let's make a ironing board cover.
Materials list : all Cotton fabric 1yd 23inches by 20inches and 4yds of strong string.                    Steps: 1) I strip the old cover and pad off and tossed the cover. I need to use the pad for a pattern. Trace 3 inches from the pad. I used a little 6 inch ruler to mark.
                                            2.  Cut it out following the line you marked

3.Fold and iron about a 1/4 inch hem all the way around.

4. I Fold and iron a 1/2 inch hem all around.
  1.                                                                                    

  2.                                
     5.Time to sew, use the stitch length that you are comfortable with. Start at the bottom, in the center, of the cover making sure to back stitch. Sew all the way around, stopping 1/2 inch away from the starting point. Back stitch
 6.Tie a knot in the end of the string and run a safety pin through the knot.
7. Slid the pin through your opening of your hem and work your string all the way a round.
8. Safety pin your two ends together. Loosen up your new cover and put it and your pad back on.  9.Pull your string to tighten your cover. Tie the strings and you are done.
Wow, now we can iron our projects and not have to look at a dirty ironing board cover. I used fabric and string from my stash. This was materials that I had found at a Yard sell, so the cost was very little.

No comments: