Thursday, December 27, 2018

Part five- How I made my long arm quilting machine, remove the feed dog shaft

 Here is were I wanted to start removing the lower horizontal shafts. Starting with the feed dog shaft. I had to remove the bobbin cover plate and the needle cover plate.
Left up the first plate an the right side and slide towards needle plate. This slides it of the spring and you can it left out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Just remove these two screws and lift the needle plate off.                                                                                                     
Left and push the little arm up and over, towards you. You just need to lift it a little bit, don't want to bend it.
Now to lift out the bobbin case. I had to wiggle it a little, but it came out.
This is were I turned the machine on its side to get to the shafts underneath I first had to remove this screw. Don't forget to use the right size screw driver.
This is the part I pulled out, again I don't know the name.
Here is a small screw that holds the feed dogs in place. Take the screw out and left the feed dog out from the top of the machine. That is why I removed the bobbin plate and the needle plate.
Feed dog. I filed the teeth of mine. I did not need to do that as I don't need the feed dog.
I used a 9/16 inch wrench to remove the nuts on both ends of the horizontal feed dog shaft. Don't remove the set screws yet.
I used a 3/8 inch wrench to remove the nut holding the vertical feed fork  that goes in to the neck of the machine. there is a screw that I then removed that freed the arm up. Now remove the set screws that holds the feed dog shaft in place. The shaft is off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Turn the machine to the back side and in the top of the neck you will see this set screw loosen it, don't remove it.
Wiggle the feed fork arm until you can get it out. I did not remove the stitch regulator parts so it took some wiggling.
Here are all the feed dog and feed fork parts I took off. I found I did not need the parts. After all I don't need feed dogs for a quilting machine. I thought I needed all the parts, came off should go back, not true. In the long run I did not put them back and she worked great. I did not remove the stitch regulator parts, because I like the way she looks with it. Of course the stitch regulator doesn't work.

No comments: