Friday, December 28, 2018

Part four- how I made my long arm quilting machine-removing the hand wheel

 I can now Take the hand wheel off. Take this set screw out. On my machine when I got it this screw was crossed threaded so I could not get her out. What I had to do was take the hand cutting girder (something else I don't know the name for) and I cut the the chrome knob, which is called a stop motion clamp screw. I had to be careful not to cut any thing else.Not what I wanted to do. Then I had to order new parts. You just don't know what you will get into. 
                                                                                                                  Just unscrew the stop motion clamp screw.                                             
 Most likely this steel washer will far out, if not just remove it.
 The hand wheel can be a pain, mine does not just slide off, may-be it is not suppose too? Well I had to get a hammer and a little rag then I place the rag on the wheel and tapped it out. Just barely tap this is cast iron don't want to brake it. tap tap tap.                                               
 I think this is called a clutch again I could be wrong. Remove this screw its what holds it in so it won't move. I don't know if its a set screw because its long, any way remove it. Again the clutch thing did not want to slide off. Couldn't tap this one not enough room. Grabbed pliers and twisted it off. I still have the marks the pliers left on it.                                                                                                        .                                                                                                   
Look all done.
 Time to remove the tread tension unit.
 There is a hole here with a set screw, the screw is what holds the unit in place. Remove the screw, then pull the whole unit out.
Here is what it looks like when it is out. I know there are good You Tube Videos on how to remove and repair the tension units.

No comments: