Monday, December 31, 2018

Part one- How I made my long arm quilting machine, striping the parts


   I am not a welder, machinist, or a mechanic, with that being said if you cut your sewing machine in half I am not responsible. Trying to find out how to make a long arm quilting machine has been impossible. There are so many great You Tube videos and great blogs out there, about cleaning your machine, taking this part off or that part off and fixing it, yet there it was no one telling how to cut a machine and build a long arm. I know that people have made long arm machines, ok, so can I.  Homestead quilt machines are a example of this being done. As far as I know they no longer make long arm quilting machines. So here is how I made my long arm from a singer 66 sewing machine.                                                                                                                                                                                   The first thing that needed to be done was to strip the machine of its parts. I started with the presser bar. I can not stress enough to take lots of pictures of every thing you take off. It helps when you have to put them back on. I broke my phone so I lost all but a couple of pictures, therefore I am going to show what I did by using my long arm machine.



  I needed to remove the face plate. putting a towel under your machine it will help if you drop a screw or other little part. Small screws like to bounce and are almost impossible to find.  Take out the bottom screw, then use a small screwdriver and take out the small screw on top and front plate comes off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
   To take off this thread guide take out this little screw with a small screwdriver .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Remove  the set screw with a small screwdriver, this is what holds the presser bar in place.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Pull the presser bar up and out of the top.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Grab the spring and pull out of the machine.                                                                 
Get a hold of this little bracket thing, that I don't know the name of and take her out. Place all your parts and screws in a baggie and labeled it presser bar.
    Its time to take out the needle bar and needle bar assembly. So far so good.                                                                                                                         

2 comments:

AMS Creates said...

I would love to here what others have to say thank you, I am still trying to work out the bugs on my comment box and my reply button.

Unknown said...

Very cool I have been thinking of doing just what you did I have a pretty beat up 66 that I was thinkongvwould be awesome if it was only longer. I love the drop in bobbin. And they feed so well. Great job on this project I love it.