Friday, January 25, 2019

Celtic Knot wall hanging, Part 1

  I have always wanted to make a quilt with Celtic designs I have practice drawing them over and over. I have choose to use the Triguetra or also called the Trinity knot. The Triguetra means: mind, body and spirit. The Trinity knot means: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So here is what I have done:   
Materials used: 1 yard orange fabric, 1 yard white fabric  and I will be using 1 yard of white fabric for the backing. 38 by 44 inch batting. Latter I will use scraps of green and other colors for leafs and flowers.                                                                                              I folded my orange fabric at a angle to get the bias and then folded it again to make it smaller to cut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Trim the edge were you cut to get a even edge. Then cut your strips 1 1/4 inches wide. Cut as many as you can.
 I then took the the left over piece of fabric and folded it on the bias and cut more strips. Just wanted to make sure I had enough strips.
I used my 12 ml single bias maker, pulled them threw, ironing them as I went.
 Here is the paper I drew my knot on. I used a drawing compass to make my drawing. I pinned my bias tape to the paper.
As you can see I went over one when the lines meet up then under the next time. When I need to add another  piece of bias I did it at a under space, even if I had to cut off excess bias. Then added the new piece and same under space. That way there are no ends showing.
Once I had gone all the way around I press it and starched it several times. I wanted it to hold its shape really well.I then unpinned it.
 I lightly pressed a small line in the center of my top fabric to make a cross to line up my Celtic knot. Slide the knot off of the paper and on to the fabric. I did it this way because I did not want to draw on my fabric. Lined it all up till I thought it looked good. I pinned it again and pressed it again.
 The glue I am using is Aleene's Fabric Fusion. I stared taking the pins out a few at a time and just ran a small line of glue as I went. Once done I used my hands a pressed down to make sure it it was stuck down,
I let it dry 24 hours.
Next I sewed some of my strips together and lined them around my drawing, pinning and pressing with starch  to make it stiff. Unpinned and slid it off and on to my fabric, Pinned and presses then Taking pins out and gluing. My circle is a little wonky. I need to practice doing circles.
 I wanted to have some kind of design on the edge so I wove two bias tapes in a design with the top of the corners in a point. Chancing out the bias tape at the under sections when needed. Always going over and under. At the end I ended up with two unders. With Celtic knots you can't have more then two sections the same, over and unders.
Still working on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         It looks uneven but it is not. Just the way its hanging. I am going to sew it on the machine. Then I will put leaves and other things on it, not sure yet. Good start. What do you think? This is new to me.                                                                 

No comments: